Course code: CSAM116P
Subject area: Early Years
Study level: Part Time
Course level: 5
12:30pm - 5:00pm
Days of week:
2nd Oct 2023 - 1st Jul 2024
Course location:Abingdon Campus
01235 555 585
The Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training DET is a teaching qualification which has a teaching/training practice requirement. It is an ‘in service’ qualification designed for those working or wishing to work as teachers/trainers in the FE Sector. All candidates must have access to 100 hours of teaching and have completed the Level 4 Certificate in Education and Training (CET), or have substantial, suitable prior learning and experience to move straight to this Level 5 course.
This exciting, 1-year part-time course at the Abingdon campus allows you to extend your Level 4 CET to the full Level 5 DET, where you will explore extensive theoretical aspects of teaching, learning and assessment. You will extend your ability to design courses and develop sessions that ensure that you are providing a safe and inclusive learning environment, meeting individual learners’ needs and facilitating learning to take place.
There are 3 mandatory units that you will study over the duration of the course:
• Unit 501 Developing teaching, learning and assessment in education and training
• Unit 502 Theories, principles and models in education and training
• Unit 503 Wider professional practice and development in education and training
The optional units selected to be studied include:
• Unit 505 Action Research
• Unit 506 Developing, using and organising resources in a specialist area
• A further optional unit may be available for those who require it to meet the minimum credit allowance.
As a result of successfully completing the course you could extend this to applying for QTLS (Qualified Teacher Status, Learning and Skills) or to another HE course.
Candidates should already have qualified in the Level 4 Certificate in Education & Training. All candidates will have an interview.
Candidates should be qualified/ experienced in the subject they intend to teach, have access to 100 teaching practice hours and possess reasonable levels of language, literacy and numeracy (Level 2 English and maths).
As part of your course we may organise trips to assist you with your learning. Trips are optional, and you will not be penalised if you choose not to participate.
There are bursaries available to help you with other course costs. Call 01235 216 212 for more information.
The rules on fee reduction are complicated and we would encourage you to talk to our Admissions staff on 01235 555 585 to discuss your options. You can find more information on our Fees and Bursaries page - search "Fees and Bursaries" at the top of the page.
Tuition Fee: £2,225.00
Exam Fee: £0.00
Total Cost: £2,225.00
On completion of this course you will receive a City & Guilds Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training
The qualification will be assessed by a combination of assignments and observation of teaching or training in your workplace.
• The majority of the theory work will assessed through written assignments for each unit. This will form a final portfolio of work.
• The practical skills will be assessed through observed sessions and through the completion of a teaching log that you will maintain to record the required 100 hours teaching.
• There are 8 observations for which you will need to achieve a minimum grade in at least 4 of them. 2 observations from the Level 4 CET can be carried forward to this course
Candidates who successfully complete this qualification will take an analytical and practical approach to all aspects of planning, delivering and assessing inclusive teaching and learning. Whilst doing this, candidates will embed theories and principles in education and training and demonstrate them in their practice.
Candidates will also carry out research into professionalism in education and training policies and consider their impact on their role and their accountability as a teacher/trainer. Candidates will also have the opportunity to contribute to quality improvement and quality assurance within their own organisation.