Course code: CSAL104P
Subject area: Early Years
Study level: Part Time
Course level: 4
12:30pm - 5:00pm
Days of week:
2nd Oct 2023 - 1st Jul 2024
Course location:Abingdon Campus
01235 555 585
The Level 4 Certificate in Education and Training is a first stage teaching qualification which has a teaching/training practice requirement. It is an ‘in service’ qualification designed for those working or wishing to work as teachers/trainers in the post - 16 Sector. All candidates must have access to 30 hours of teaching.
This exciting, part-time course at the Abingdon campus will allow you to explore a blend of theoretical and practical aspects of teaching, learning and assessment, including:
• roles and responsibilities of a teacher/trainer in relation to required legislation, inclusivity and meeting the needs of learners
• initial and diagnostic assessments to support you in planning and delivering inclusive teaching and learning
• appropriate activities and resources to support effective learning
• assessment of learning using tools appropriate to a range of contexts.
There are 5 mandatory units that you will study over the duration of the course and the first is also the mandatory unit of the Level 3 Award in Education and Training (you will not be required to repeat this if you already have it):
• Unit 301 Understanding roles, responsibilities and relationships in education and training
• Unit 401 Planning to meet the needs of learners in education and training
• Unit 402 Delivering education and training
• Unit 403 Assessing learners in education and training
• Unit 404 Using resources for education and training
The optional unit selected to be studied would be:
• Unit 417 Inclusive practice
As a result of successfully completing the course you could extend this to the Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training.
Level 3 Award in Education and Training or equivalent (PTLLS). Numeracy and Literacy skills at Level 2.
Candidates should be qualified/ experienced in the subject they intend to teach, have access to 30 teaching practice hours.
As part of your course we may organise trips to assist you with your learning. Trips are optional, and you will not be penalised if you choose not to participate.
There are bursaries available to help you with other course costs. Call 01235 216 212 for more information.
The rules on fee reduction are complicated and we would encourage you to talk to our Admissions staff on 01235 555 585 to discuss your options. You can find more information on our Fees and Bursaries page - search "Fees and Bursaries" at the top of the page.
Tuition Fee: £1,417.00
Exam Fee: £115.00
Total Cost: £1,532.00
On completion of this course you will receive a City & Guilds Level 4 Certificate in Education and Training
The qualification will be assessed by a combination of assignments and observation of teaching or training in your workplace.
• The majority of the theory work will assessed through written assignments for each unit. This will form a final portfolio of work.
• The practical skills will be assessed through observed sessions and through the completion of a teaching log that you will maintain to record the required 30 hours teaching, along with 3 successful observations which link directly to the mandatory units 402, 403 and 404.
Candidates who successfully complete this qualification will acquire a fundamental understanding of the roles and responsibilities of a teacher / trainer in relation to legislation, equality, diversity, inclusivity and meeting the needs of learners. You will be able to use initial and diagnostic assessments and plan and deliver inclusive teaching and learning. You will also be able to assess learning and use appropriate resources to support effective learning.